Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Pheobe Lesson

I have had a few friends contact me and ask if I could share my studies. After spending time in prayer on the best outlet of doing this, I decided to come back here! I miss blogging, though my old blog is deleted, I transferred a few posts once and called it a day.

Today is Wednesday. I am finalizing my lesson at church for young ladies this evening at church. Our topic this quarter is "Strong women in the New Testament". We often hear many stories about the Old Testament women. My last week lesson was about...
Pheobe
(Romans 16:1-2) 

“I commend unto you Pheobe our sister, which is a servant of the church which is at Cenchrea:

That ye receive her in the Lord, as becometh saints, and that ye assist her in whatsoever business she hath need of you: for she hath been a succourer of many, and of myself also.”
 

But why do some people call her a Deaconas?  

In some bible translations we see the word Deacon used in the place of servant. This is because of the Hebrew for the word used diakonos, from the word diakō.  

What does diakō mean?
Persue, follow, press toward 

What does diakonos mean?
to run on errands, an attendant 

Qualifications of a deacon in the bible?

1 Timothy 3:8-13

“Likewise must the deacons be grave, not double-tongued, not given to much wine, not greedy of filthy lucre; Holding the mystery of the faith in a pure conscience. And let these also first be proved; then let them use the office of a deacon, being found blameless.

Even so must their wives be grave, not slanderers, sober, faithful in all things.

Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well.

For they that have used the office of a deacon well purchase to themselves a good degree, and great boldness in the faith which is in Christ Jesus.”
 

And I do not allow a woman to teach nor to exercise authority over a man, but to be in silence.

1 Timothy 2:12  

Scripturally we see she could not have been a “Deacon” but was a beautiful servant for the church!
 

succourer : a person or thing that provides help
 

She was a HELPER to the men in the congregation and we can be too!

This also proves she was trusted to be a helper and even a helper to Paul, he was assuring them that she was a trusted servant, are you??

 

Read John 4 this week!


No comments:

Post a Comment